|Mantra of Avalokitesvara|
above sounds are quite meaningless as they are but transla-
tions from the original Sanskrit prayer. It must be mentioned
that in mantra recitation the meaning of it is not real y that im-
portant as the sound of each of the syl ables. For the benefit of
those who are real y keen to find out the literal meaning of this
prayer, here is the Sanskrit prayer and its English translation:
e antra of valokitesvara
1. NAMO RATNATRAYAYA
I take refuge in the Triple Gem
2. NAMO ARYAVALOKITESHVARAYA
I take refuge in the Lord-seer
3. BODHISATTVAYA MAHASATTVAYA MAHAKARUNIKAYA
In the Enlightened Being, in the Great Being, in the Great
4. OM SARVA ABHAYAH SUNADHASYA
Om, in the fearless one
5. NAMO SUKRTVEMAMA ARYAVALOKITESHVARAGARBHA
May I enter into the heart of the Lord Seer
6. NAMO NILAKANTHA SIRI MAHABHADRASHRAME
I take refuge in Him with the blue neck, great abode of kindnes
7. SARVARTHASUBHAM AJEYAM SARVASATTVANAMAVARGA
Meaning the ful ness of understanding of all ways, which is
pure, making all sentient beings victorious and purifying all
the realms of existence.
8. TADYATHA OM AVALOKELOKITE KALATE
In whom who is thus. Om, the Seer, transcending the world.
9. HARI MAHABODHISATTVA SARVA SARVA MALA MALA
Oh Hari Great Being of Light! Al , Al , Garland, Garland
10. MASI MAHAHRDAYAM KURU KURU KARMAM
Core of the world! Make Success! Success!
11. KURU KURU VIJAYATI MAHAVIJAYATI
Triumphant success! Great Triumphant success!
12. DHARADHARA DHARIN SURAYA
Stand by, stand by firm, O Indra!
13. CHALA CHALA MAMA BHRAMARA MUKTIR
Shake! Shake! Liberate me from my mental disturbance!
14. EHI EHI CHINDA CHINDA HARSHAM PRACHALI
Come! Come! Listen! Listen! e joy that arises!
15. BASHA BASHAM PRESAYA HULU HULU MALA
Speak! Speak! Give the sigh! (Hulu Hulu Mala are words
16. HULU HULU HILO SARA SARA SIRI SIRI SURU SURU
(Magical sounds of invocation)
17. BODHIYA BODHIYA BODHAYA BODHAYA
Awake! Awake! Be awakened! Be awakened!
18. MAITREYA NILAKANTHA DHARSHININA
O friendly! e one with the blue neck, Worthy of being seen!
19. PAYAMAMA SVAHA SIDDHAYA SVAHA MAHA SIDDHAYA SVAHA
To the fearless, svaha! To the Powerful svaha! To the Great
¡ûBACK¡û |INDEX| ¡úNEXT¡ú